1/27/10

White Chicken Chili


A while back my sister Michelle posted a recipe for White Chicken Chili on her blog. I thought it looked so great, but I never got around to making it. This week I saw this recipe on a recipe blog and I had to try it. I should've taken Michelle's advice earlier! This was my first stab at white chili and it was SO good!! It was so incredibly easy and it seriously tastes amazing. We loved it! I will definitely be making this again. The spices in it were delicious and it was just spicy enough while deliciously creamy at the same time. Michelle's recipe added lime juice, and I think next time I will try that out!

White Chicken Chili

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon oil
2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies (if you like less kick, add just one can)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

optional:
fresh cilantro
shredded cheese
tortilla chips


In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately. This is especially good served with tortilla chips and a little cheese sprinkled on top.

Makes about 6 servings.

Recipe from My Kitchen Cafe.

9 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for a cold winter's day! I noticed that NYC had snow this morning. The Today Show had some cool shots of it flurrying over Rockefeller Plaza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, this looks so good, I'm doing it this weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this version sounds really good! i think i'll try this one next time were craving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie! This is my first time to post a comment, but I have been following your food blog for a while now...I stumbled upon it while reading some other blogs and I am so happy I did! I am a mom of three girls in CT who is always looking for some tasty new recipes to try out. Last night my hubby & I were having four families over for a Tex-Mex themed dinner party and I decided to add a few of your recipes to my menu. I used this white chicken chili and your honey lime chicken enchiladas and OH MY GOODNESS! They were the hit of the night!! Just delicious! Every woman went home with the recipes and I told them I had found them on your blog and they said I had to post a comment telling you thank you and how wonderful they were. It was a great night of food and fellowship and I just had to let you know that without even knowing us, you were a big part of making our evening special. Thank you! Keep the great recipes coming, your helping people in ways you can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the comment! You just made my day'

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so welcome, and I'm so sorry I didn't tell you my name...I'm Alyson and your new recipes look fantastic! I have forwarded your blog to some friends, so you can expect your recipes to be filling even more kitchens here in CT! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alyson, great to meet you (virtually)! :) I'm glad to hear these recipes are being put to use! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, let me explain how I stumbled upon your blog...back in 1997, I was one of Casey (Lucero) Matheny's 5th grade teachers in Plano, TX. When Facebook came along, some of my former students began appearing and I ended up as friends with Casey and then I connected to her blog one day and then saw other blogs listed and clicked on to your blog and boom, found your cooking blog. I am suddenly feeling like a stalker!! As a mom of three young daughters, I find it so refreshing to see such incredible young women with such high standards out in the world today. You really come across as such a lovely person, so kind, and I can just tell that you and your husband have such wonderful priorities. I hope you don't mind strangers reading your blog, (I'm a stranger, but not strange, I promise! Casey & her family can attest to that!), but you are really the type of woman I hope my girls can grow up to be like and reading some of your experiences gives me so much to look forward to with them. Now I do sound crazy!! Consider me a blog fan! =) I even printed out your flank steak quesadilla and guacamole recipe just now. Can't wait to try those out!! Thank you again for listening to my ramblings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Angie! I just want you to know how much I appreciate your recipe blog. Ryan, before I made this, claimed he wasn't a fan of white chili. Now he says its his favorite.

    ReplyDelete