8/29/12

Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto


Let's be honest here, I did not take this picture. I was so excited about eating this delicious pasta dish that I didn't think to take a picture of my own. Oops. So the photo credit for this one definitely goes to Angela.

BUT - original photo or not, you NEED TO KNOW about this recipe. It was so delicious. And healthy! I made it in my new Blendtec blender (which I LOVE, by the way) when I was so excited about it and just looking for ways to use it. I will definitely be making this again. The roasted tomatoes add such a depth of flavor to the pesto sauce - sweet and smoky and just amazing! We loved this and felt all fancy eating it.

Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto


9 large roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1/2 cup almonds, toasted
2 garlic cloves
1 cup tightly packed basil + more for garnish
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling on tomatoes
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Your desired amount of cooked pasta


Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Place sliced tomatoes on the sheet and drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour and 10 mins at 400F. Watch closely during the last 15 minutes of roasting.

Reduce oven heat to 325F and toast almonds for 8-10 minutes. Add 1/3 cup into food processor and process until finely chopped. I left mine a bit chunky for texture. Remove and set aside.

With processor turned on, add 2 garlic cloves and let it whirl around until finely chopped. Now add in the basil and process until finely chopped.

Add in the oil, optional nutritional yeast, and 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes (you will have tomatoes left over). Process until smooth. Pulse in 1/3 cup toasted almonds. Season generously with salt and pepper. I think I used about 1/2 tsp salt or a bit more.

Pour your desired amount of pesto over the cooked pasta and mix well. Chop the remaining roasted tomatoes and stir into pasta. Chop remaining almonds and Chiffonade the basil



Recipe from Oh She Glows.

No comments:

Post a Comment