9/14/09

Peach Crisp


In response to a post I wrote about missing home and my mother's peaches, that wonderful woman sent another whole box of them to me! I woke up Saturday morning and ran down the stairs like it was Christmas, to find my box waiting for me. We made pancakes with peaches, and since then I've been so excited to make peach crisp. Had to buy ice cream first, because come on, you can't eat peach crisp without ice cream. Here is the recipe I found. It was just perfect! Totally satisfied my craving. The crunchy topping is sugary and cinnamony and delicious.

Peach Crisp

6-8 medium peaches, peeled and sliced into thin slices
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest (or a few drops of lemon juice will do)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup white flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
8 tablespoons slightly softened butter


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix first 4 ingredients until blended thoroughly. Spray a 2.5 qt baking dish with cooking spray and add peaches. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

While the fruit is baking in the oven, add flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and butter to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients with your fingers until crumbly. Once the fruit has cooked 20 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the peaches. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes longer. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.



Recipe found on For the Love of Cooking.

3 comments:

  1. So, I made the spinach/pasta/chicken salad that you and Alisa do, and it was NOT the same! Is the recipe you have here on your blog at all different from the one you make for work showers? I didn't think it so. Give me tips on how you do yours so it doesn't come out so BLAH. Jed and I were surprised at how boring it turned out. Hopefully I'm just forgetting something. Does olive oil lose it's flavor over time? I checked to see that it wasn't expired. All I had was extra virgin, I wonder if that made a difference? And what about the rice vinegar? Do you use seasoned or just regular? gah, I'm going to just stay out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering...I've looked for lemon zest everywhere and am unable to find it. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon zest is just what you get when you use a small grater on the outside of a lemon peel. You get small shavings of the lemon peel, including the oils in the peel which are packed with lemony flavor. I'm sure it makes a difference, but I will be honest, I VERY rarely have fresh lemons around, so I usually leave lemon zest out of my recipes that call for it. (Sometimes I'll add a few drops of lemon juice instead for the lemon taste.) And all my recipes turn out just fine. And if they call for fresh squeezed lemon juice I just use the bottled stuff.

    ReplyDelete