9/28/10

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever


I have a go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe from Klane's family which I can whip up from memory in about 15 minutes. It's like an old friend. I love those cookies. I have always loyally stood by that recipe as my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time. It is really, really good.

But.

These cookies? There is just something about them. I am tempted to cheat on my old cookie recipe with these bad boys. In fact, ever since I met these cookies a month ago, I haven't seen my old cookies even once. And I've made these new ones, oh... five times. When I first tried these I was floored by how good they were. They were soft, chewy and kind of fluffy. The first time I tried them, there was something unique about them that I couldn't quite put my finger on. They're incredible! I just might have a new favorite chocolate chip cookie. Just don't tell my old recipe. I don't want any hurt feelings.

Now, I have been known to cut corners and use substitutions on recipes. But you have to follow this one exactly in order for them to turn out so delightfully perfect. No substituting dark brown sugar for light, or semi-sweet chips for milk, or mixing things for a shorter time than called for. Follow the recipe exactly! They are amazing and addicting and you will be hooked.

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping cup of non-instant oatmeal
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a handheld mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3 full minutes, until mixture becomes light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla until combined. Put the oatmeal in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times. You're not making oat flour, you still want pieces of oats left. You just want most of the oat flakes broken up. Combine oats with dry ingredients in separate bowl. Beat dry ingredients into creamed mixture a third at a time with a wooden spoon. Stir in chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 10 mins. Take out a little early and let bake for a few minutes on pan before moving to a wire rack.


Recipe from a nice girl named Ashley Laidlaw.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great recipe :)
    Gonna try it this weekend..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just bought a hand held mixer for the purpose of making these. can't wait to gobble those cookies up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made these and they were good, but they didn't turn out exactly right. for one, i added extra salt because the butter here isn't very salty and it was a big mistake because i ended up making them way too salty. also, i have a few questions cause i think i might be doing something wrong. with the brown sugar-- do you pack it? or no? and what about the flour? i had thought with brown sugar you always pack and flour you never pack unless it calls for it.... let me know what you do. i want to try these again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry they didn't work out!! That makes me sad, especially since I hyped them up so much. Well, first of all, when I'm baking I always use unsalted butter. I read on Pioneer Woman that you should always always always use unsalted butter when baking. I don't remember why but I trust that woman. So that's what i do. Also, I always pack the brown sugar and don't pack the flour. I should recheck this recipe and make sure I didn't put the wrong measurements! I hope it works out better the next try! These are definitely worth trying again to get it just right. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these and they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so yummy! Thank you for the recipe. I used mini chocolate chips the first time, and regular chips the second. The mini chocolate chips are the way to go! They give just the right mix of chocolate and cookie with each bite, these are now my husband's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these for a big get together with friends and they were gobbled up so dang fast! I'm making them again this week and I'm so excited. These are my go-to chocolate chip recipe now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete