8/11/10

Jacoco Shakes


This summer we spent an amazing week on the beautiful island of St. Thomas in the Caribbean. We explored jungles, laid on white beaches, went snorkeling, sailing and hiking, and ate a lot of yummy food. One of our favorite food experiences from the trip was the St. Thomas Dairy's ice cream/shake shop called Udder Delight. We went twice on our trip because it was so good. They had the most delicious homemade coconut ice cream, and a shake called the Jacoco that was to die for. It's a coconut shake with a hint of chocolate. When we got home from our trip we were craving a Jacoco so we decided to make them at home. They've been a summer favorite at our house ever since! Make them and imagine you're on St. Thomas. They're soooo good!

Jacoco Shakes

1 can coconut milk
3-5 generous scoops vanilla ice cream
a handful of ice cubes
large squirt of chocolate syrup (2 tsp? You don't need a ton.)
1 Tbs coconut flakes


Combine ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add enough ice or ice cream as needed for desired consistency. These shakes don't turn out super thick and are more like milkshakes than ice cream shakes. I sprinkled a little more coconut flakes on top to make it look festive. ;)

Makes 4 shakes (depends how much each person wants!).

7 comments:

  1. this looks delish. I can't wait try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would substitute chocolate ice cream for the vanilla and leave out the chocolate syrup. but that's just me :D the only thing i'm wondering is why i don't have one of these in my hand RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge milkshake fan, this is definetly on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you used unsweetened coconut milk, like the cans you find by the thai food section? i don't know much about coconut milk - except that i like the flavor and really need to have one of these! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie- to be honest, I don't know much about coconut milk either. I had never even used it until a few months ago. So I don't really know, it's just a regular can of coconut milk...? It doesn't say 'sweetened' on the can so I guess it is unsweetened. I've used a few different brands too (I just buy whatever my store has at the time) and they have all been about the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I went to Udder Delight on St. Thomas too and had the DELICIOUS coconut ice cream they make. I swear it's the best in the world. I didn't try the Jacoco but I've been trying to recreate the coconut ice cream from home & will turn some into a shake next time. I would LOVE to get my hands on that recipe for the ice cream. It is un-be-lievable!

    ReplyDelete